How To Insert Scleral Lenses
There are many ways to insert scleral lenses. We recommend you pick the method that works best for you. Always wash hands with mild soap and dry well with a lint-free towel before handling lenses.
- Place lens on insertion tool OR stabilize lens on fingers placed in the tripod method (see photos)
- Fill bowl of lens to the top with non-preserved sterile saline such as PurilLens Plus
- You can find Purilens Plus either at Visionary Optical, Bed Bath & Beyond, or Amazon.
- Lean forward and look down. Face should be parallel to the floor. Sometimes it’s helpful to place a mirror flat on the counter as you insert the lens.
- With the finger of one hand, hold upper lid by placing one finger on the base of the lashes and pin the lid to the brow bone.
- Using the opposite hand, with palm facing up, place the inserter between thumb and index finger. Pull the lower lid down with middle finger, holding the eye wide open.
- Gently place lens on eye by sliding lens inside lower lid and applying directly to eye. Remove inserter from lens by squeezing the inserter.
TIP 1. To avoid mixing up lenses, begin with the same eye each time.
TIP 2. To avoid bubbles, fill lens completely with nonpreserved sterile saline. Bubbles may cause discomfort and produce irregular vision.
TIP 3. To avoid spilling saline solution, center the contact lens in the middle of the inserter.
TIP 4. Lid control is important. Release the eye lid when the lens is fully in place and the inserter is out of the eye.
TIP 5. Keep both eyes open to help with lens insertion.
INSERTION VIDEO WATCH BELOW:
How To Remove Scleral Lenses
- Wet the remover with sterile saline.
- Hold lower lid down, position remover at a 45° angle. Place
remover on the lower 1/3 of the scleral lens.
- Apply slight pressure to the inserter. Inserter should stick to the lens.
- Lift lens away from eye with a slight upward motion.
- Remove lens from remover with a slight twisting motion.
TIP 1. It’s easier to remove the lens if you are sitting down.
TIP 2. Remove lens from the bottom of the lens, not the center.
TIP 3. When removing the lens from the tool, use a slight twisting motion instead of pulling the lens straight off.
REMOVAL VIDEO WATCH BELOW:
For More Video’s and further information on insertion and removal please visit Scleral Lens Education Society website below
What To Expect
The SynergEyes VSTM scleral contact lenses offer consistently clear vision throughout the day with all-day comfort.
Expect a brief period of adaptation to become fully accustomed to the lenses. Your eye care professional will explain expectations and wear time information so that you may enjoy unparalleled vision and comfort with SynergEyes VS.
Top Comfort Tips
- Fill lens completely with non-preserved saline prior to insertion.
- If lens becomes uncomfortable during the day, remove, clean, re-wet and re-insert.
- If eyes feel dry during the day, refer to your eye care professional for a lubricating drop recommendation.
- Avoid rubbing eyes during the day.
*Avoid using oil-based cosmetics as they may permanently damage the surface of your lenses.