One of the most useful procedures for diagnosing common vision conditions is the dilated eye exam. Using special chemicals, the physician dilates or enlarges the pupil to provide a better look at the retina and nearby portions of the eye. Dilated exams are a standard portion of the eye exam for patients over 60 years of age, and the test is typically performed annually.
If you are due for a dilated exam in Washington, DC, DC or Maryland, contact our team at Visionary Eye Doctors. We offer quality vision care, advanced treatments for vision problems, comprehensive eye exams, and more. We have office locations in Washington, DC, DC and Maryland, and we serve clients from throughout the region.
What Happens During a Dilated Eye Exam?
Once all the parts of your standard eye exam are complete, such as testing your vision for glasses or contacts, a dilated exam may be performed if you are over 60 or you have other risk factors that warrant it. The doctor will administer eye drops that will dilate the pupil within about 15 to 30 minutes. Once dilated, you may experience blurry vision and light sensitivity, with the effects lasting up to six hours, so it is a good idea to bring a driver for the trip home.
With the pupils open, the eye doctor can see far more of your eye, including the entire retina. This makes it easier to spot abnormalities and any possible vision conditions.
What Conditions Can a Dilated Exam Detect?
A dilated exam allows your eye doctor to check for several common eye conditions, including:
- Glaucoma – A common disease of the optic nerve that causes vision loss. Though glaucoma can be detected during a normal eye exam, a dilated pupil makes the process much easier.
- Macular degeneration – Both diabetic retinopathy and age-related macular degeneration are best diagnosed through the use of a dilated exam for an unencumbered view of the retina.
- Detached retinas – With a dilated pupil, abnormalities like detached retinas, tears, or ocular tumors are far easier to spot.
Are you concerned about your eye health? Contact us today to schedule a standard eye exam or a dilated exam today.
Treatments for Common Vision Problems in the DC Area
At Visionary Eye Doctors, we can treat many of the conditions that can be found during a dilated eye exam. Our services include:
- Retinal care – Advanced treatments for retinal eye conditions such as diabetic retinopathy, macular degeneration, floaters, and more.
- Glaucoma care – Innovative procedures for the early detection and treatment of glaucoma.
- Advanced cataract center – Innovative diagnostic and surgical procedures that can provide successful treatment of cataracts.
- Corneal care center – Effective treatments for a wide range of corneal problems, including cornea abrasions, corneal ulcers, keratoconus, and corneal infections.
To learn more about our treatment options for vision problems, contact our team today.
Schedule a Dilated Exam in Maryland & Washington, DC, DC
Protect your vision and your eye health by scheduling a dilated eye exam today with our team at Visionary Eye Doctors. We offer three convenient locations in the Washington, DC, DC area, we accept a variety of insurance plans, and we feature friendly, conscientious professionals who are dedicated to your health and comfort.