LASIK allows you to experience life as you may have never known it: clear and hassle-free. You may pursue life with new confidence, enthusiasm and ease thanks to LASIK. The procedure takes just a few minutes, but its results can have a tremendous impact on a patient’s quality of life.
That said, LASIK is not for everyone. There are health and lifestyle considerations to take into account when making this important decision. Every surgical procedure – even one as common as LASIK – has its risks. Although most patients are very pleased with the results of their laser vision correction surgery, every patient should weigh the chance of experiencing complications against the potential benefits of the procedure.
The first step is to determine if you are a good candidate for vision correction surgery. Our Refractive surgeon, Dr. Alberto Martinez will perform a thorough diagnostic eye exam to determine your if LASIK Surgery is a good fit for you.
He will evaluate:
- The shape and thickness of your cornea
- Your refractive errors and pupil size
- The moistness of your eyes (to check for dry eye syndrome)
- Your general health and medical history
- Any medications you are taking
If you are not a good candidate for LASIK, no worries there are LASIK Alternatives, including PRK, ICLs, Clear Lens Exchange, click here for more info.
Some of the risks and complications of LASIK to be aware of include:
- Mild, moderate or severe dry eye
- Halos, glare, and starbursts
- Loss of vision
We cannot promise that you will never need contacts or glasses again – beware of anyone who makes such a promise – but LASIK can drastically decrease your dependence on these visual aids.
Additionally, the following patients should not have LASIK:
- Those with collagen vascular disease
- Those with autoimmune or immunodeficiency diseases
- Patients with signs of keratoconus or abnormal corneal topography
- Women who are pregnant or nursing
- Patients who are taking the medications isotretinoin (Accutane™) or amiodarone hydrochloride (Cordarone™)
Choosing a skilled and experienced LASIK eye surgeon can help reduce these risks and enable you to achieve the best possible results from laser eye surgery. To schedule a consultation with Dr. Alberto Martinez and discuss if LASIK is right for you, contact Visionary Eye Doctors at 301-896-0890.